Keturah by Lisa T. Bergren


Keturah is the first book in Lisa T. Bergren's new series called The Sugar Baron's Daughters. This historical fiction book begins in England in 1772 with Lady Keturah Banning Tomlinson and her two sisters, Verity and Selah, as they find themselves in a difficult position after their father has passed away. Should they go to the West Indies to save their heritage or stay in England? At that time, women didn't usually travel like they decided to do--alone on board a ship across the Atlantic with just a few servants. Once they arrive in the Caribbean, the sisters face new challenges and new joys. It is truly a fun adventure to read.

I found Keturah to be an engaging read. I enjoyed reading about the sisters' adventure and travels in that time period. I would mention that this book does deal with a serious issue, as Keturah must heal from an abusive first marriage and go on with her life after her abusive husband has passed away. Having been in an abusive relationship at one time in my life, I thought Bergren handled this subject well within the story. For this reason, though, the story does move a little slower than others she has written. However, I could understand Keturah's fears and needing time to heal so I thought it flowed well for that reason. I mention this because it is an important part of the story and may bring up memories for any reader who has been in this difficult place before. As a whole, the women in this book are strong women who overcome their difficulties. It is great to see them leading new lives and facing new challenges together through the story. I especially enjoyed the rich details in the setting of this book as I could envision myself wherever the characters were. Keturah is a good read and I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

I received Keturah from Baker Publishing Group. I was not required to write a positive review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman