The Life, Art and Cookbook by Cipe Pineles: Leave Me Alone with the Recipes


 I am a huge fan of publication design both for books and magazines. My journalism degree included an emphasis in magazine design. Along with a love of publication art, I also relish good cookbooks. I have a fairly extensive collection that I read just like novels. With my interests, I found great pleasure in Leave Me Alone With the Recipes.

Cipe (Pronounced C. P.)  Pineles was one of the most influential graphic designers of the 20th century. This  spent many years working for Conde Nast publications as their first female art director and even taught design classes, as well as other notable work. I found her story to be fascinating. The first part of the book tells her complete story, as much as the authors have known. The four women who collaborated on this project all have an interesting connection to Pineles and publishing themselves.

The main part of Leave Me Alone with the Recipes features Cipe Pineles beautifully painted food pictures and hand-written family recipes. Pineles was an immigrant who brought her culture and love of Eastern European food with her. Recipes include: Borscht, Goulash, Lentil Soup, Roast Duck, Schnitzel, Veal Cutlets and many more. The editors checked the recipes to be sure they would work out properly. Some of them didn't and appropriate changes were made. Some also needed some clarification of ingredients for today's world. While I think some of the recipes look fun to try, I also think this would be a beautiful coffee table book that would make for some fun conversation.

I believe the final copy of Leave Me Alone with the Recipes, which is a copy of Pineles' hand-illustrated cookbook, would be gorgeous. Even the color inserted pictures in my advance reading copy are gorgeously painted. This is a book that I will make a point to find in the final hard copy. If you enjoy art and cooking, this book comes recommended.

I received an advance copy of this book from Bloomsbury Publishing Company through Goodreads. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

Save

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman