Book Review: The Chia Cookbook by Janie Hoffman, Founder of Mamma Chia



The Chia Cookbook is beautifully illustrated with brightly colored pictures of the recipes. I was drawn to this book from the moment I received it. I selected it after reading, Chia Vitality, Janie Hoffmann's first book, and wanting to incorporate the seeds into more of my recipes than just my smoothies.

The Preface of this book gives a history of Janie Hoffman's experience with chia seeds. Janie is also the founder of Mama Chia. If you have read Chia Vitality, this part isn't new. However, if you are new to Janie Hoffman's books, it is a nicely summarized background to the cookbook. It is also a good refresher on her background.

This cookbook is divided into chapters for smoothies and drinks, breakfasts, snacks, salads and soups, main dishes and sweets, desserts and cocktails. The illustrations  make the recipes look inviting. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. Recipes include| chia peach jam, chia gazpacho, Tuscon white beans and baby kale, key lime chia cheesecake, and apricot hazelnut blondies. Not every recipe has a photo, but many of them do. I also found it easy to take the basic recipes and make a few changes to suit my tastes, like the recipe for Raspberry-chia Dressed Arugula Salad with mint and Almonds. I made a few minor changes to suit my family's tastes (greens and seasonings) and it is quite good. As a teadrinker, I really liked that this particular recipe also used tea in the dressing. Yum!

If you are looking to incorporate more chia seeds into your diet in a variety of ways, I would encourage you to get a copy of this book. 

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. I was not required to write a positive review.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essential Speed Reading Techniques: How to become a Better, Faster Reader by Katya Seberson

5-Minute Bedtime Treasury by Hannah C. Hall Illustrated by Steve Whitlow

JustRead Tour Stop and Giveaway: A Love Most Precious: 90 Devotions on the Book of Ruth by Anita Higman